Tuesday 29 January 2013

Tracing it Back … Or Big Pink Diaper Truck Moments


Isn't it interesting how things develop in ways we never could have imagined? 

Your career, your relationship with your significant other, your business; they all seem to take on a life of their own. You do your best to guide how things go but in the end, things happen that cause changes you never saw coming. Some good, some not so good.

When you get the chance, it can be very revealing to think backwards through time and see how you got to where you are. Notice the events and people that had a hand in helping you create the world you have around you.

This thought came to mind in the form of a conversation I had yesterday. I was meeting for the first time with Teresa Kiyawasew, owner of Kiy HR Services (Check out her blog)   My intention was to research trends in the HR world for a presentation I am doing in the near future. The conversation was quite professional to start. Then this sentence came out of Teresa’s mouth, “…so really, as Human Resource professionals we feel …..Bwaaaahahahaha! A big pink diaper truck!!!!” She pointed out the window and I turned to see exactly that. A big pink truck with a giant yellow happy face and a description of how they were providing diapers for our world’s future. It really was a great truck!

From that point on though, our conversation was very different. We talked diapers, we talked kids, we talked dogs, we talked race cars and eventually we did get back to talking business. The business we talked was very different now though. Instead of just research for me, it turned into discussions of how we could collaborate. We had discovered, through all of that random conversation, that we had very similar values and styles and thought we may somehow be of benefit to clients if we combined our efforts. What was the event that caused all of that? A big pink diaper truck driving by!

I’m sure you have been in conversations that have taken an unexpected turn and traced it back to find the moment it happened. Try doing the same with the bigger parts of your life as well. What caused you to know you loved your spouse? How did you end up making the decision to study (insert whatever you studied here).

Do the same for your business if you are an entrepreneur.
  • What are some of the events that really shaped what your business has become?
  • Were they planned?
  • Did seemingly random things happen that gave you an idea?
  • What events forced you down a path you didn't expect to be on?
  • What people played a part in shaping your business?
  • Did you expect them to do that?


It is fun and very valuable to trace these events back. You can then give credit to those who deserve it and maybe haven’t received it.

Look for your “Big Pink Diaper Truck” moments and feel free to share them in the comments below. I would love to hear your story!

1 comment:

  1. I love this article Cliff. I can't help but break into a smile after seeing the "big pink diaper truck" roll by. Thanks for making my morning even better.

    It really reminded me of my friend Devan. While we worked at Fast Track Group, he who would stop by my cubicle every now and then, invite me to join in his plentiful bowl of Vector cereal and almond milk. We would discuss everything under the sun from Tony Robbins to what not to put in the microwave.

    As a result of one random, unexpected pink diaper truck invitation he shared, it not only saved my life, but my marriage and passion to enjoy life and serve others.

    Before this invitation, I was in a pretty rough spot, though I would sport a smile and do my best to be excited at work, I was feeling pretty empty and lost. I thought to myself with my head facing the floor, "Will I ever make it?"

    But after this invitation, life has never been the same. Even amongst financial uncertainty, I find myself with entrepreneurs, coaches, and mastermind groups I never could have imagined. I know who I am and I know what my mission is. Deep inside I can say with certainty each morning after a miniature dance party "I know what I"m here to do."

    For me, the one thing that my friend did that made all the difference. I met Brandon Broadwater in Edmonton, the founder of Higher Laws.

    Thanks for the reminder Cliff. I look forward to seeing you on Friday!

    Rock on buddy!

    Rory

    ReplyDelete